X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • a1ex
    Visitor
    • Mar 2007

Hex Viewer fails to open large files

When attempting to open very large files (like, 600MB), hex viewer stays empty. No error messages are shown.

I tried to determine critical file size. In my tests, I used the following command line:

create_file.py t <file_size> && bc2 t t /fv="Hex Viewer"

(create_file.py script is shown at the end of this message; it just creates a file of specified size, filled with 0s).

On my computer, file size of 493551616 (0x1D6B0000) works OK, and 493551617 (0x1D6B0001) fails.

My initial guess was that the problem might be related with address space or virtual memory limitation, but it seems that virtual memory is not a problem: the critical file size corresponds neither to my computer's virtual nor physical memory capacity (it has 768MB of RAM and 1787332MB virtual memory limit).

################################################## ###
    # create_file.py
    # usage: %0 file_name file_size

import sys

name = sys.argv[1]
    size = int(sys.argv[2], 0)

f = file(name, 'wb')

if size :
    f.seek(size - 1)
    f.write('\x00')

################################################## ###
  • Chris
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Re: Hex Viewer fails to open large files

Known size limits for BC are listed at:
    http://www.scootersoftware.com/suppo...largefiles.php

600 megabyte files are too large for the hex viewer to handle. To compare files this large with the Hex Viewer, you'll need to split the files into smaller pieces before comparing them.
    Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• a1ex
      Visitor
      • Mar 2007

That's a pity. (And a strange design decision -- why not to show an error message, at least?)

Do you know if there are plans to increase max file sizes in Beyond Compare 3.x?

Comment

• Chris
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Showing an error message when the files are too large for the Hex Viewer is on our list for a future release.

I don't know if there are any plans to increase the size limit in BC 3.x. Although it isn't using all of the physical memory, the maximum size limit is probably due to the 2 GB of address space per process limit on 32-bit Windows. This is also probably why the File Viewer hits a size limit at around 700 MB for each file.
        Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• a1ex
          Visitor
          • Mar 2007

OK, I see. Thank you!

Comment

Working...