• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chrestomanci
    Enthusiast
    • Jan 2008

Bug: Incorrect behavor with file names that differ only in case

Hello

I have found a bug with file handling when the file viewer sees files that only differ by the case of the filenames.

See the attached zip file.

In the example, I have two directories: left and right. Left contains file_Name.txt and File_name.txt. Right contains file_name.txt

If you compare the two directories under linux, I would expect BC to see all the files as orphans, or if it matches up two filenames, to see that there are two files in the left directory. Instead it sees one file in each directory, and the second file in the left directory is not shown at all.
  • Jacques
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Thanks for the report, file and directory names are now case sensitive under Linux.

Comment

• Dave_L
      Veteran
      • Dec 2007

[Build 462 on Mepis 7]

Maybe this is an odd situation that no one else has encountered.

When running BC on Linux, when comparing a folder on a Win2K NTFS partition with a folder on a FAT32 partition, files whose names differ only in case appear as orphans.

When comparing the same folders from BC running on Win2K, the files are the same.

Maybe BC should use the file system type, instead of the host O/S type, to determine whether the names are case-sensitive?

Or should there be a filename case-sensitive setting? I think BC 2 has this, but I can't find it in BC 3.

Comment

• Chris
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Dave,

Thanks for the suggestion. In Build 462, BC treats filenames as case-sensitive on Linux, and case-insensitive on Windows. This can only be changed for FTP/FTPS/SFTP connections. For those connections, you can set case sensitivity in Tools > FTP Profiles.

Handling the scenario you describe (comparing windows drives from Linux) is on our todo list for a future release.
        Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• Zoë
          Team Scooter
          • Oct 2007

Dave,

I've just posted a new approach we're considering for case sensitive filenames at http://www.scootersoftware.com/vbull...ad.php?p=15424. Please let us know what you think of it.
          Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

• tlscales
            Expert
            • Oct 2007

Link does not work ("The page cannot be found")

Comment

• Dave_L
              Veteran
              • Dec 2007

Try this one: http://www.scootersoftware.com/vbull...ead.php?t=3947

Comment

• tlscales
                Expert
                • Oct 2007

Much better - thanks.

Comment

• ugeuder
                  Journeyman
                  • Aug 2008

I'm using 3.0.9 build 9222 on Ubuntu Hardy Heron 8.04.

I believe the original problem still exists in the case that one side of the folder comparision is a Linux directory (i.e. case sensitive) and the other side a Linux tar.gz archive.

This can be easily demoed:

Code:
                  mkdir tartest
                  cd tartest
                  echo 123 >test
                  echo 456 >TEST
                  cd ..
                  tar czf tartest.tar.gz tartest
                  bcompare . tartest.tar.gz

Comment

Working...