• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bastis
    New User
    • Sep 2006

Generating Massively-Multiple File Reports

Hi,
    I'm not sure if you guys are aware of situations like me or I'm a rare case, but I have a few more than 6,000 files on each base folder, and for each file that is a mismatch, I need to generate a file-report.

I happen to have a few more than a 1,000 files that happen to be mismatch, and I need my file-reports to be named according to the filename of the files in concern. (e.g. If I compared myfile.txt, I want the report to be name myfile.txt.html) Which means to generate exactly as many file-reports as the mismatch files. (1,000+)

And you know, I can't name all of them "Report.html" for obvious reasons. But Beyond Compare doesn't seem to be very automated and/or self-recognizable of filenames when it comes to naming the reports. And you know I can't be naming 1,000+ file reports all manually.

I decided to generate the folder-reports first in XML dump, and am writing a small application which will go through the XML to retreive the full path for each mismatch files. (So I have some flexibility with the path, e.g. just retreive the folders without filename or so)

It turns out,however, the file-report script does not work quite as I expected, and I need clarification.

criteria CRC
    load "path_A" "path_B"
    expand all
    file-report layout:side-by-side options:display-context output-to:filename.html output-options:html-color fileName fileName

So here, I have 2 files with exactly the same filename, but in different paths. path_A and path_B are the folders where each file is located respectively.

This generates the following error:
    Exception occured at: 000119EE
    System Error. Code:87.
    The parameter is incorrect

And also I figured "select diff.files" doesn't seem to select only mismatch files and am wondering what it actually tries to do.

Thanks,

HP
  • Chris
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Re: Generating Massively-Multiple File Reports

There are two forms of the file-report command.

One version generates a single report of multiple files. It operates on the currently selected files.

Example1:
    load c:\folder1 c:\folder2
    expand all
    select all.files
    file-report layout:side-by-side output-to:report.html

Another method generates a report of two named files. It does not use select or load commands.

Example2:
    file-report layout:side-by-side output-to:report.html c:\folder1\file1.txt c:\folder2\file2.txt

The error you listed occurs when example1 doesn't have any files selected, or when one of the named files can't be found in example2.
    Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Working...