Picture Viewer plugin file type extension problem

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Picture Viewer plugin file type extension problem

I use subversion, a version control system. When I compare my version of a picture with an unmodified copy of what's currently stored in the repository, BeyondCompare is called with both file names for me. These files look like (for example):

C:\pics\MyPicture.jpg
    C:\pics\.svn\text-base\MyPicture.jpg.svn-base

The picture viewer plugin starts and displays the MyPicture.jpg, but it doesn't disply that MyPicture.jpg.svn-base file (I'm assuming because it has a strange file extension). However, the .jpg.svn-base file is a jpg file and the picture viewer works if I copy the file and rename it.

Would it be possible to "guess" or "assume" or "try" different picture types in order to view files that are named differently? Or, perhaps you have another solution?

Thanks!

Re: Picture Viewer plugin file type extension problem

What we do, using CVS, is a bat file that get the revision to be compared and append the extension to the file, like

C:\pics\.svn\text-base\MyPicture.jpg.svn-base.JPG

we append (again) the same extension to the revision file.
    I don't know if you can do the same with subversion.

Comment

• Chris
      Team Scooter
      • Oct 2007

Re: Picture Viewer plugin file type extension prob

The current version of the picture viewer won't load a file unless it has an extension that is an image. The batch file to add the proper extension is the best option right now.

I'll add a way to open files without proper image file extensions to our wish list for the Picture Viewer.
      Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Can we get a simple filter setting to alter the extensions before the file-viewer is lauched? I'm using Microsoft's Team Foundation Server's source control and it appends a tag to indicate the file version. This means the command line is something like "BC2.EXE Foo.cs;C19 Foo.cs;C22" or similar to the file name when doing a difference (where the C22 is the change-set number, could also be LZot for a label, etc...). What I need is to have the file-viewer strip everything after the last ";" off before determining which viewer to launch.

Comment

• Zoë
          Team Scooter
          • Oct 2007

You can fix this by just adding a * at the end of the extensions for the rules. That is, use *.cs* instead of just *.cs
          Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

• IDisposable
            Visitor
            • Oct 2005

Sweet!

It's not quite the same in that now those patterns will match more files than they should (so things like *.aspx* will have to be lowered in the rules priority than *.cs* to insure we get C# rules), and the Image Viewer will still not handle the files correctly (as I suspect other viewers that sniff the extension would fail).

This will definately help for now. Thanks!

Comment

• Zoë
              Team Scooter
              • Oct 2007

Well the image viewer would still have trouble with the extensions if we hadn't released a new build today that fixes that.
              Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...