• Show
Clear All
  • GlennHalstead
    Visitor
    • Mar 2015

Scripted BC reports orphan rows. Manual BC says files are same

Hi folks,

I'm using Beyond Compare v3.3.5.

I have a script that compares two files. The output reports orphan rows. When I use BeyondCompare manually it shows the files are the same (whilst ignoring unimportant differences). It doesn't show any orphan lines.

Here's my script (I've changed the real file paths to short alternatives.
    Code:
    data-report layout:summary &
    options:ignore-unimportant,display-mismatches &
    title:"rep" output-to:".\rep.SUMMARY.html" &
    output-options:wrap-none,html-color &
    "C:\rep1.txt" &
    "C:\rep2.txt"
    The output contains:
    Code:
    24 same row(s)  
    1 important left orphan row(s)  
    1 important right orphan row(s)
    Can anyone suggest why the script results might be different to the manual result?

thanks
    Glenn
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

Thanks for posting. We would expect script to match the interface, but there are a few bits of information to retrieve to make sure everything is configured correctly.
    First, all BC3.x updates are free for 3.x users. You can update to 3.3.13 from our website or using the Help menu -> Check for Updates.

The script should use the same default session settings as the main interface. If you double click your files in a Folder Compare, which session type launches automatically to compare them? Given the script, I would expect the Data Compare, but this is something good to verify. In the graphical interface, if you then use the Session menu -> Data Compare Report dialog, and generate the summary report, how does it differ? Does it show 25 same rows? In the graphical interface, is the Key currently set as Column 1?
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• GlennHalstead
      Visitor
      • Mar 2015

Thanks for your reply Aaron.

re: First, all BC3.x updates are free for 3.x users...
      I'm working in a locked down environment so cannot update Beyond Compare.

re: If you double click your files in a Folder Compare, which session type launches automatically to compare them?
      After double clicking the file I see the file diff view. How do I see which session is being used? It appears to be a text compare.

re: In the graphical interface, if you then use the Session menu -> Data Compare Report dialog, and generate the summary report
      Using the data compare does show the same diffs as the script. Thanks for your help. How do I control which session type the script uses?

Thanks
      Glenn

Comment

• GlennHalstead
        Visitor
        • Mar 2015

HI Aaron, Ignore that, I realise I specify the compare type in my script.

Glenn

Comment

• Aaron
          Team Scooter
          • Oct 2007

Yes, the "Data" report uses the Data Compare session, while text-report would be the Text Compare. You can see which is used automatically for your files in the title bar (same bar that has "_" minimize and "X" close, on the left side:
          Session Name - Text Compare - Beyond Compare

The icon of the tab itself would also match the icon of the compare type.

I hope that helps clear up what you are seeing. You can also try the script text-report to verify that compare type.
          Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...