X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MarrchCaat
    Visitor
    • Jul 2014

BC4 Portable unpredictably crashes without a word

I'm an active user of BC starting from the early versions of BC1. When I was using BC3, I found that it sometimes just disappears when I do something. I mean - it did never disappear while just working in background. It could have several active threads comparing my local project to the remote copy via SFTP or anything, and nothing happened. But when I clicked a file and pressed "Copy to the other side", or when I opened menu and pressed "Open session" - when I asked it to do something more, it sometimes just oooooops - disappeared, without any sound, any message, anything. It looked like it was a bit lazy, and when I tried to make it work a bit harder - it just ran away.
    OK, but that happened quite seldom, about once in two months, so I was on my side too lazy to write about that
    But now, since I updated to the BC4 beta, it disappears at least once, and up to 3-4 times a day, and it makes me crazy. The worst thing is that I can't figure any specific steps to reproduce the problem - the same steps that made it crashing once, work fine the second time. It's almost impossible to precisely reproduce the same situation it was, so I didn't write about it for several weeks trying to get the point, but didn't succeed. Couldn't you please provide me with some sort of debug build so that when it happens once again I could just send you its logs and you could analyze, what happened? Or maybe you see any other solution. Please help me - BC is one of my favorite working tools, I use it for almost 15 years (wow, is it really so long?!) and I almost can't work without it!

Sincerely yours, Alex Ryazanov
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

If you check your system event log (Right click and "Manage" My Computer), Event Viewer, is there any information in here at the timestamp of the crash?

If we are able to provide a debug build, we'll need an email. We can contact you at your forum account registered email, or you can email us at [email protected] with a link back to this forum thread for our reference.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• MarrchCaat
      Visitor
      • Jul 2014

ОК, I'll recheck the Event Log the next time it'll happen, and post here, then if there would be nothing or if the info I would have found won't help, I'll try to use the debug build. Thank you for your advice.

Comment

• MarrchCaat
        Visitor
        • Jul 2014

Ok, when the app crashed, the following event appeared in the App log. I beg your pardon, but for the last year I use a Russian version of Windows, to all the labels below are translated to English by me and many not be strictly equal to appropriate English labels. I hope that won't make any problem:

Log name: Application
        Source: Application error
        Code: 1000
        Level: Error
        Task type: (100)
        Keywords: Classic

Problem application name: BCompare.exe, version: 4.0.0.18291, timestamp: 0x538e58d8
        Problem module name: unknown, ...
        Exception code: 0xc0000005
        Exception offset: 0x077cf9d8
        Problem process id: 0x72f4
        Timestamp of the process start: 0x01cf960f909d220a
        Path to the problem application: C:\Soft\Beyond Compare 4\Bcompare.exe
        Path to the problem module: unknown
        Report id: 8129f5a5-05c1-11e4-bea4-24ec991c6fdf
        After that two similar messages related to the one mentioned above are located, the first of them follows:

Log name: Application
        Source: Windows Error Reporting
        Code: 1001
        Level: Notice
        Task type: absent
        Keywords: Classic

Error container 50, type 0
        Event name: BEX
        Response: No data
        CAB id: 0

Problem signature:
        P1: BCompare.exe
        P2: 4.0.0.18291
        P3: 538e58d8
        P4: StackHash_3be8
        P5: 0.0.0.0
        P6: 00000000
        P7: PCH_AB_FROM_ntdll+0x0003D2EC
        P8: c0000005
        P9: 00000008
        P10:

Files attached:
        C:\Users\1\AppData\Local\Temp\WER95D1.tmp.appcompa t.txt
        C:\Users\1\AppData\Local\Temp\WER973A.tmp.WERInter nalMetadata.xml
        C:\Users\1\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Rep ortQueue\AppCrash_BCompare.exe_74ceaf8aa78dbf2675b 3647a9635216ed2866_aea4e77a_cab_9ed69747\memory.hd mp
        C:\Users\1\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Rep ortQueue\AppCrash_BCompare.exe_74ceaf8aa78dbf2675b 3647a9635216ed2866_aea4e77a_cab_9ed69747\triagedum p.dmp

Files can be located:
        C:\Users\1\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Rep ortQueue\AppCrash_BCompare.exe_74ceaf8aa78dbf2675b 3647a9635216ed2866_aea4e77a_cab_9ed69747

Analysis symbol:
        Repeated solution search: 0
        Report id: 8129f5a5-05c1-11e4-bea4-24ec991c6fdf
        Report status: 4
        Container hash:
        The second message is almost equal to the one quoted, except for the files path, since the report was moved from the ReportQueue to the ReportArchive, and the fields "Report status", which is 0, and "Container hash", which is 59dec9c88ca47eacadfc7fcc1a268a61

Attached is the WER report file mentioned in the last two messages (from the ReportArchive); it was renamed to allow it to be attached - just remove the .txt part, and it would be the original file.

Comment

• Aaron
          Team Scooter
          • Oct 2007

Hello,

Sorry, this report does not seem to contain anything we could use to help troubleshoot this. Could you email into [email protected] (with a link back to this forum thread for our reference) and I'll check with one of developers to see what we can do next.
          Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...