X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pickle
    New User
    • Mar 2014

Ignore file type?

I am trying to compare the contents of two separate folders and find all file name matches but DISREGARD file type. So if one folder contains a file called
    "image1.jpg" I want to find all matches for "image1" in the other folder, regardless whether it is a .jpg, .png., .tiff, etc. I can't seem to figure out how to do this using the filters or rules. Is it not possible or am I just looking in the wrong place?

Thanks.....
  • Zoë
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hi pickle,

That's not supported as such in the current release. If you're still evaluating BC or have a Pro license you can use the "Alignment overrides" to do a file type at a time. It's in the Folder Compare's Session Settings dialog, on the "Misc" tab. You can tell it to align "*.jpg" to "*.png" for example, and as if you do that for each of the possible extension matches it will line them up.

Completing ignoring the extension for alignment purposes is something that we want to get in soon.
    Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

• wmeyer
      New User
      • Feb 2012

Ignore list

Yes, an ignore list would be an excellent feature! I've become addicted to it in Mercurial.

Comment

• Zoë
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Beyond Compare already supports excluding files using masks similar to Mercurial's .hgignore file. In the toolbar at the top is a "Filters" edit that you can put masks into. Use a '-' to exclude a file type and a trailing '/' to exclude a directory. For example:

*.txt;-abc.txt

Would include all .txt files except for "abc.txt". There's a lot more available functionality, which is documented in the help file.

What pickle was asking for was a way to automatically align files regardless of their extension, so "1.png" could be aligned with "1.jpg", for example. Our "Replacements" feature does that for a lot of cases, but has some holes we still need to fill.
        Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

• wmeyer
          New User
          • Feb 2012

Yes, my bad. I had forgotten the include and exclude lists.

Comment

Working...