X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mzel
    Expert
    • Mar 2008

Missing file extension setups.

I am missing all my language rules in 4.0. I did not import them when converting from 3.0. I thought I would end up with the default ones which would be a good starting point, but I have nothing now. What can I do about this?
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

Do you still have BC3 on your system? You can Export, creating your BCSettings.bcpkg, then Import this package into BC4 using BC4's Import wizard.

If not installed, you can still navigate to the directory your settings were stored (default: %AppData%\Scooter Software\Beyond Compare 3\) and copy out your BCFileFormats.xml and other .xml files, then use the BC4 Import wizard on individual XML files.

How do either of these solutions work for you?
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• mzel
      Expert
      • Mar 2008

Yes, Export/Import worked. I suppose the default rules in 4.0 are not that much different from those in 3.0?

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

The many of the defaults are similar and would normally be included after an Import. However, if you selected to delete existing formats, and did not then also check to include/import the BC3 versions, then the existing BC4 defaults would be deleted, and only the checked formats would be imported.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• mzel
          Expert
          • Mar 2008

I do not know what I did wrong, but all my default formats are empty

Comment

• Aaron
            Team Scooter
            • Oct 2007

Hello,

You can restore the format's Factory Defaults using the Tools menu -> Restore Factory Defaults, then select just File Formats, then select the formats you wish to restore.

If I had to guess, during the Import you may have selected to Delete All Existing Formats, but then didn't also check to include the red named formats.
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• mzel
              Expert
              • Mar 2008

No, I screwed it up by the import from BC3 when I said I do not want to import formats. From that point on everything was treated as plain text.
              Your suggestion above worked.

Comment

Working...