X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DEinspanjer
    Enthusiast
    • Nov 2007

Update went smoothly

Today was my first automatic update since starting the Mac beta.

After getting the e-mail from you guys, I opened BC4 and the "New update available" button was visible in the upper right hand corner of the window.

I clicked it. A dialog appeared warning me that the program would close, and when I clicked OK, the update applied and the program restarted. Clean as a whistle.

I'm running on a MBP Retina running OSX 10.8.4.

Thanks guys. BC4 has been rock solid so far and it is so exciting to be able to use it natively on the Mac.
  • naiiawah
    Enthusiast
    • Jun 2013

Ditto and _DITTO_ on the Thanks SO MUCH for bringing this great tool to the Mac!

Comment

• mryan
      Expert
      • Apr 2012

It didn't go as smoothly for me, but it did seem to work.
      1. After reading of the update in the email, I launched BC4.
      2. The "New update available" button did not appear in the corner, but the "Check for Updates" app menu command did work. An new update was discovered and I selected to install the update.
      3. On the Update dialog box, it notified me that it would close the existing session and that I should save my work. I clicked on the "Install" button to proceed.
      4. BC4 seemed to lock up here. It didn't close down immediately, and the cursor turned into the spinning beach ball. Eventually (maybe after 30 seconds) the BC4 window disappeared, but the app never relaunched. My guess is that it crashed somewhere during the shutdown process. I had only one tab open, and there were no other dialog panels up, so it shouldn't have been blocked by anything.
      5. I checked Activity Monitor and saw that the Beyond Compare process was no longer running.
      6. After manually relaunching BC4, I checked the version, and it now shows that I'm running the latest build (16750). I confirmed this by looking for a new update, and it reported that I was running latest.

So I guess the only thing I would like to know is whether the install completed correctly. My guess is that it did, since you're likely just dropping the new version into the Applications folder. If anything more complex is going on (i.e., support files being placed elsewhere), I suppose there's a chance that those steps were not completed.

Do you think everything is okay, or should I somehow reinstall the new version?

I wouldn't want to report bugs caused by an incomplete install.
      Last edited by mryan; 24-Sep-2013, 03:42 PM.

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

If the program opens and displays the current version, you are probably good to go. If you are concerned at all, you can redownload the app from the original download link email, and re-deploy it into the Applications folder.

The Check for Updates link only checks every 7 days by default. Since the new version has only been released for a couple of days, it is likely the link would not go live until your specific 7 day interval is up. It defaults with this delay to prevent any annoying ping for the user every time you boot the application, but you can customize the option to check more frequently if you would like. Going to the Help menu -> Check for Updates also will manually kick off a check.

We would be curious if anyone else has had issues with the auto-update. We've tested it in house, but it is always helpful to learn if a larger sample set of users are encountering any issues like the one mentioned above.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• mryan
          Expert
          • Apr 2012

Thanks for the info!

I'm pretty sure the previous update went though fine, and I used the link in the upper-right corner for that one.

Comment

Working...