• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greyshark
    Visitor
    • Sep 2013

Runtime Error 230

Hello,

I've been consistently getting a 'Runtime error 230' message upon exiting Beyond Compare (version 3.3.5-15075). I can simply open Beyond Compare and immediately close it and the error message pops up.

I've run ldd on /usr/lib/beyondcompare/BCompare and don't see any missing shared libraries, and I've checked the permissions on my .beyondcompare folder to make sure they are writable, but nothing I change seems to prevent this error. Does anyone have an idea to stop this from happening?
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

If you update to the latest release, do you still see this error? All 3.x updates are free for 3.x users. You can update from the Help menu -> Check for Updates, or from our website.

How did you install BC3? Did you use the tar.gz or one of the automated installers? The runtime error might be from a missing dependency.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• KeithS
      Visitor
      • Dec 2012

Got Error Too

With version 3.3.5, "randomly" get error 230 at 081337A1 on exit. One thing I can reproduce is start bcompare and wait 30 seconds, no exit error. Start bcompare and exit after something less than 3 seconds and get the above error.
      Strange.

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Hello,

Which OS and version are you currently running? Is it 32bit or 64bit?

Does this reproduce for you using the latest release (3.3.8)?
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• greyshark
          Visitor
          • Sep 2013

This software is installed on a work PC - I don't have authorization to update it, so for now I'm stuck with the revision that I have. I believe we used the RPM package to initially install it.

I am seeing the same behavior as KeithS - I would assume that I wouldn't have any missing dependencies if waiting 30 seconds or so prevents the error from occuring.

Comment

• greyshark
            Visitor
            • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Aaron
            Hello,

Which OS and version are you currently running? Is it 32bit or 64bit?

Does this reproduce for you using the latest release (3.3.8)?
            We are running Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.2 - 64 bit.

Comment

• KeithS
              Visitor
              • Dec 2012

We have 64 bit, and for now are limited to 3.3.5. Any idea what is happening at 081337A1?

Comment

• Aaron
                Team Scooter
                • Oct 2007

This might be related to a bug that was fixed in BC 3.3.7. This does not reproduce on all machines reliably and we do not see it as often as you're able to recall it. I have attempted to reproduce it in a test VM but even closing in under a second does not cause the text. The text itself is not necessarily error text. They are return codes from some unix/shell commands that we are running in the background that we were failing to capture and hide.

I would recommend contacting your IT department to see if you can update and test a machine that is able to reliably reproduce it to BC 3.3.8 to see if that helps resolve it, or if this is a separate issue. It might also update the text itself, which would give us new clues to work with if it is still occurring.
                Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Aaron
                  Team Scooter
                  • Oct 2007

When you are quitting in under 3 seconds, which action are you specifically taking? Are you using a keyboard command to kill the application, or right-clicking the dock and selecting Quit?

Is the application generally viewable and up when closing this quickly on your machine? This might be easier for you to reproduce when running on a slower machine that takes longer for BC3 to fully start up. What kind of stats does your machine have?
                  Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• KeithS
                    Visitor
                    • Dec 2012

Updated to 3.3.8.

Started Beyond Compare with arguments pointing to 2 small text files. Waited a second or two and selected Session | Exit with the mouse. Got "Runtime error 230 at 0813368D" . Do not see an error if I let Beyond Compare run for 30 seconds or more before selecting Session | Exit.

Running on a Dell T5500, 24 processors, 12 GB ram with Red Hat Enterprise 6.2.

The computer is not connected to the internet. Is Beyond Compare trying to connect to an internet site?

Comment

• Aaron
                      Team Scooter
                      • Oct 2007

We do have a Check for Updates setting in the Tools menu -> Options, Startup section. If you disable this option, does this have an impact on the error?

I have tried disabling internet to a few test VMs, but I'm still having a bit of trouble triggering this.
                      Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• greyshark
                        Visitor
                        • Sep 2013

Disabling the check for updates option does not have an effect on it.

Comment

• KeithS
                          Visitor
                          • Dec 2012

Deselecting the "Check for updates every" on the Tools | Options | Startup dialog box stops the runtime 230 error at 0813368D on systems that do not have access to the internet.

Using version 3.3.8

Comment

Working...