BC2 under Linux with WINE

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

BC2 under Linux with WINE

I moved to linux recently and the biggest thing I've missed has been Beyond Compare. I had heard rumors that it worked under WINE and I finally tried it out. It works pretty well!

What I did:
    - download the latest BC2 installer to my linux machine (SUSE 9.1)
    - search my hard drive for an executable called "wine" (find / -name wine
    - change to that directory. In my case it wine was on my machine because of cross-over office. /opt/cxoffice/bin
    - run: "wine /path-to-bc-installer/beycomp.exe"
    - step through the installer like you are running under windows
    - start BC2 from either the desktop link or menu link
    - celebrate!

The only problem I've seen is that the background panels to the toolbars don't ever refresh. It's mildly annoying.

I would post a picture of it working if I could.

I can't wait for a native version to be released!
  • jknacnud
    Visitor
    • Dec 2004

Re: BC2 under Linux with WINE

That is good to know that it works in Wine. I just recently found BC and LOVE it! However, I do most of my programming and other file work in Linux/Unix.

I see that there may be a port to Linux/Unix in the works:
    Port to Linux/Unix

I was thinking of purchasing a copy anyway, but it would certainly be more enticing with a Linux port on the todo list.

Thanks,

Comment

Re: BC2 under Linux with WINE

Because I use a mix of Windows and Linux I run BC on the windows box and samba to access my linux target files. Nice to know that it runs under wine though, and even nicer to know there may be a Linux version of BC. I love Linux but I absolutely must have BC close by. If it ever gets ported it will take the Linux world by storm BC rocks!!

Comment

Working...