• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jcphua
    Visitor
    • Apr 2013

b16335 observations

Just a couple of minor issues:
    1. Clicking Home/End keys when editing text in File compare view jumps to the BOF/EOF, instead of Home/End of current cursor line/position
    2. Reorder tab via drag: Cursor changes to a 'Add node' appearance (not sure if intended)
    3. Replace dialog: Cannot consistently replicate, but buttons at bottom sometimes appear cropped from the visible dialog area
    4. Scrolling speed/sensitivity doesn't match OS' scroll speed setting
  • nikolaus
    Expert
    • Apr 2013

In OS X, Home and End normally move the view (but not the cursor) to the beginning or end of the document.

Comment

• Aaron
      Team Scooter
      • Oct 2007

Hello,

For point 1, we are currently following the OS behavior. Do you have an example of software that behaves differently or offers an option for alternate behavior?

The Cursor during a tab drag is intentional, just as a visual queue that the drag is occurring. We do not currently support animating the drag of the tab itself.

We've seen a few issues like this throughout the Alpha, and have been trying to fix them as they are found. Would it be possible to get repeatable steps for this? I have tried on my own but have not seen it occur yet.

Is this for vertical or horizontal scrolling? We try to match the OS as closely as we can, but we might not be able to make the scroll behavior identical.
      Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• jcphua
        Visitor
        • Apr 2013

Sorry, obviously OS X isn't my default OS.

For #1:

You just reminded me that at some stage I set up custom key bindings for Home/End/PageUp/PageDown (~/Library/KeyBindings/DefaultKeyBinding.dict) on my office Mac to take care of this traditional Windows user's unconventional key behaviour.

I got used to the key bindings being overridden for TextMate and other apps.

I'm wondering though, if I have assigned custom key bindings, shouldn't they apply system-wide, including BC also?

#4:

I'll need to confess here too, I'm using other apps to override default mouse sensitivity/speed (SteerMouse, Mouse Acceleration).

Now since I'm using non-standard apps I completely understand it's not necessarily your problem, but again the same question applies as above-- if I've gotten accustomed to my mouse and key bindings overriding input behaviour for all other apps, how come BC doesn't behave the same way?

The difference in scrolling behaviour I noticed for TextMate and not BC was being able to suddenly increase my scrolling rate and the scroll position doing the same (something I now wish Windows could do too)

Comment

• Aaron
          Team Scooter
          • Oct 2007

So TextMate and other apps are able to respect these overrides and use them? What about apps like Safari, iTunes, TextEdit, or other built-in OSX apps?

Do you have detailed instructions on how to set up these overrides? We can look into it, but we'll need to prioritize handling the System settings and may not be able to handle these override cases.
          Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• nevil
            Visitor
            • Apr 2013

This is not my thread, but I'll attach a remapping file I'm using as a sample.

Put the file in ~/Library/KeyBindings/DefaultKeyBinding.dict and I believe you have to restart.

Thanks

Code:
            {
            /* Remap Home / End to be correct  */
            "\UF729" = "moveToBeginningOfLine:"; /* Home */
            "\UF72B" = "moveToEndOfLine:"; /* End */
            "$\UF729" = "moveToBeginningOfLineAndModifySelection:"; /* Shift + Home */
            "$\UF72B" = "moveToEndOfLineAndModifySelection:"; /* Shift + End */
            "^\UF729" = "moveToBeginningOfDocument:"; /* Ctrl + Home */
            "^\UF72B" = "moveToEndOfDocument:"; /* Ctrl + End */
            "$^\UF729" = "moveToBeginningOfDocumentAndModifySelection:"; /* Shift + Ctrl + Home */
            "$^\UF72B" = "moveToEndOfDocumentAndModifySelection:"; /* Shift + Ctrl + End */
            }
            Last edited by nevil; 27-Jun-2013, 09:57 PM.

Comment

• jcphua
              Visitor
              • Apr 2013

I can confirm that SteerMouse is the specific app that changes the scrolling behaviour of my mouse. I've configured it to 3x Acceleration on Scroll Up and Down.

I've just tested Finder, TextEdit, Activity Monitor, iTunes, Safari, Chrome, Firefox, and the accelerated scrolling all behave the same.

Here's a full extract of my ~/Library/KeyBindings/DefaultKeyBinding.dict:
              Code:
              {
                  /* home */
                  "\UF729"  = "moveToBeginningOfLine:";
                  "$\UF729" = "moveToBeginningOfLineAndModifySelection:";

/* end */
                  "\UF72B"  = "moveToEndOfLine:";
                  "$\UF72B" = "moveToEndOfLineAndModifySelection:";

/* page up/down */
                  "\UF72C"  = "pageUp:";
                  "\UF72D"  = "pageDown:";
              }

Comment

• Aaron
                Team Scooter
                • Oct 2007

Thanks for the feedback. We can look into this, but it won't likely make it into the 4.0 release.
                Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• willypimpernel
                  New User
                  • Feb 2014

I also have this problem. It'd be sufficient to allow remapping of the home/end keys in the BC preferences, but I can't find those actions anywhere.

Comment

• rothkj1022
                    Fanatic
                    • Apr 2008

I would love to see this get addressed. With the release of macOS Sierra, the key binding app I was using (Karabiner) no longer works. I have set the key bindings in the DefaultKeyBinding.dict file as explained above, and now my home/end keys operate how I want them to in all my apps *except* BeyondCompare.

Comment

• Aaron
                      Team Scooter
                      • Oct 2007

Thanks for the feedback. We haven't been able to tackle this yet, but I'll add your notes to our entry on the subject.
                      Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...