X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jlstuart99
    Visitor
    • Apr 2013

"Set as base folders" Crash/hang

Set up a compare between an SFTP site and local copy. Selected a folder. Right clicked to select "Set as base folders" - and then it seemed to hang.

When I tried it again - it worked - but here are the differences between the first attempt and the second.

Second attempt: I saved the session first (so I wouldn't have to set it up again in case of a crash). I went into settings and turned off scanning subfolders in background - so it WAS scanning when I tried to set the folders as my base.

I can try the scenario again mimicking the first attempt (no save - and it scanning subfolders in background...) to see if it crashes again...
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

Does this reproduce for you? I tried setting up a similar scenario (running a background content compare between folders on an SFTP, then changing base folders), but it seemed to work successfully.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• jlstuart99
      Visitor
      • Apr 2013

Yes. Was able to reproduce. Not sure if this is the critical issues:

-with "Automatically scan subfolders in background" CHECKED
      Left side: an SFTP site drilled into a few directories.
      Right side: a folder on my local drive

Right click in the middle between a folder that appears in both locations.
      Select "set as base folders"

Crash report included the following:

Beyond Compare Version 4.0 beta (build 16121)
      Exception occurred at: 0036AC40
      EAccessViolation: Access violation.
      BackTrace:
      $0005D805 TCONTROL.DESTROY, line 4839 of control.inc
      $0004AF15 TWINCONTROL.DESTROY, line 6465 of wincontrol.inc
      $0005FB4C TCUSTOMCONTROL.DESTROY, line 60 of customcontrol.inc
      $000687DA TSCROLLINGWINCONTROL.DESTROY, line 261 of scrollingwincontrol.inc
      $001FD69F TVIEWFRAME.DESTROY, line 447 of ViewBase
      $0014C5EB UIPOSTCALLBACK_CALLCALLBACK, line 5439 of UiUtils
      $997DD9BB
      $99665394
      $99664780
      $996645CA
      $9969898E
      $9966583F
      $99664780
      $99678655
      $0016A981 TBCCARBONWIDGETSET.HANDLEMESSAGE, line 2733 of BcForms
      $00169FD9 TBCAPPLICATION.HANDLEMESSAGE, line 2421 of BcForms

Happens EVERY time - if "Automatically scan subfolders in background" is checked. If I UNCHECK that - before setting base folders - it works fine...

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Hello,

Thanks for the verification. Does this reproduce every time you attempt this series of actions or only sometimes? Roughly how often if only sometimes? I've tried this a dozen or so times, but have not seen the crash yet.

Update: Re-read and saw the note at the bottom of your post. I tested against an SFTP, but if you change the SFTP side to a local drive, does that still reproduce for you?
        Last edited by Aaron; 18-Apr-2013, 11:06 AM. Reason: Update
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• jlstuart99
          Visitor
          • Apr 2013

Every time. I tested it about 4 times yesterday. Tested it again this morning just to be sure I covered all the steps - and it did it again.

It happens every time. If I have "automatically scan folders in background" - and I set two folders (at the same time) as "Set as Base Folders" - it will crash. It has never done it successfully - UNLESS I UNCHECK "automatically scan folders in background."

I can check it on another machine later tonight - and if I'm able to reproduce can send you a screen recording... (will it allow me to attach it to the thread? or should I email it?)

(Just wanted to add - regardless of any bugs - I'm just so thrilled to see this working on the Mac!!!! So happy!!!)

UPDATE: Sorry - you updated while I was posting my reply
          Local vs Local - this works fine. The issue seems to be SFTP vs Local (or maybe SFTP vs SFTP too? - but I only have one that I'm accessing right now...)
          Last edited by jlstuart99; 18-Apr-2013, 11:13 AM.

Comment

• Aaron
            Team Scooter
            • Oct 2007

If the attachment is small enough, you can post here, use a file sharing website, or just email us at [email protected]. Please include a link back to this forum thread in the email for our reference.
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• jlstuart99
              Visitor
              • Apr 2013

Was able to duplicate the issue on my home computer. Emailed you the screen capture video. This info is in the email but just to include it here too - the critical things that seem to cause the crash:

1) MANY files (~1 GB) both locally and in the SFTP location you're connecting to
              2) The SFTP should not be local - it should go externally
              3) Automatically scan sub folders in background needs to be checked
              4) When selecting "set as base folders" - this needs to be done in the CENTER - so that you're setting a folder that's in both locations as the base folders.
              5) At the time that you select this - the "scanning sub folders in background" should be in process...

I was not able to reproduce it under these conditions:
              1) Not many files locally, or not many files in SFTP location. (ie. no scanning was taking place)
              2) SFTP was pointing to my local machine (so was not going externally)

Comment

• Zoë
                Team Scooter
                • Oct 2007

Thanks for the detailed steps; I've been able to reproduce it, and we'll look into it.
                Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...