X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Michael Bulgrien
    Carpal Tunnel
    • Oct 2007

Save/Load Desktop

Just curious... Why the "Desktop" terminology? It does not seem intuitive to me.

One of your videos mentions that you can launch Cirrus and reload your workspace. In my opinion, workspace is a more appropriate term than desktop. Would you consider changing the Session drop-down menu options to "Save Workspace" and "Load Workspace"?
    BC v4.0.7 build 19761
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
  • Marjolein Katsma
    Expert
    • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Michael Bulgrien
    Just curious... Why the "Desktop" terminology? It does not seem intuitive to me.

One of your videos mentions that you can launch Cirrus and reload your workspace. In my opinion, workspace is a more appropriate term than desktop. Would you consider changing the Session drop-down menu options to "Save Workspace" and "Load Workspace"?
    I haven't tried it but from the description in the help file it does seem to be "workspace". If I understand the description correctly, that is, and it means a complete configuration of open sessions and all the windows they live in. I'd never call a collection of windows a "desktop" which suggests a single window.

Comment

• Michael Bulgrien
      Carpal Tunnel
      • Oct 2007

Scooter... Still wondering why the "Save Desktop" and "Load Desktop" options under the session menu aren't "Save Workspace" and "Load Workspace". The term "Desktop" doesn't really fit here.
      BC v4.0.7 build 19761

Comment

• Tim
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

We skipped making that change because the change log was full!

Seriously, I'll look into this when I get the time. Our IDE uses the term "desktop" and it's fine with us. I believe Eclispe calls them workbench "perspectives". "Workspace" often refers to the location of a project's files. So, before we change the term we'd want to review the options a bit more.
        Tim T Scooter Software

Comment

• Michael Bulgrien
          Carpal Tunnel
          • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Tim
          the change log was full!
          You got a chuckle out of me on that one...having a "fanatic" on the forum really keeps you on your toes, eh?

Originally posted by Tim
          Our IDE uses the term "desktop"
          That explains it. I've never used Delphi. To me, the desktop is what my wallpaper and shortcuts sit on. Visual Studio (C++) uses workspace. I'll brainstorm for other words that are less allegorical and might convey the right idea...

Save/Load:
          configuration
          arrangement
          content
          layout
          organization
          Last edited by Michael Bulgrien; 14-Jan-2008, 07:35 AM.
          BC v4.0.7 build 19761

Comment

• stevepjohnson
            Journeyman
            • Dec 2007

Well I'd like to vode with Michael on this - to me "Desktop" is the whole environment. In most OS's it is the container for everything you're doing with the computer. I guess that can also apply to an IDE, because the concept is to be able to do everything from the IDE.

However, you don't do everything from Beyond Compare (unless you guys have bigger goals than you're letting on! ) - so I don't think "Desktop" is appropriate.

I would suggest something like "workset" (or "snapshot"?), and the help should be expanded a bit to make it clear it saves all windows and tabs that are currently open, allowing you to shutdown and then reload everything next time. Initially I was wondering if it was just a way of saving some sort of preferred window size/position etc.

Comment

• Michael Bulgrien
              Carpal Tunnel
              • Oct 2007

"Workset" works for me too. Except, for some reason,
              I think that "Restore workset" sounds better than "Load workset".
              BC v4.0.7 build 19761

Comment

• Michael Bulgrien
                Carpal Tunnel
                • Oct 2007

And nothing would prevent the Scooter team from coining a new term.
                We could all be saving and restoring our "compareset".
                BC v4.0.7 build 19761

Comment

• jdmarch
                  Fanatic
                  • Oct 2007

The term "Desktop" worked ok for me, but I can see that another term might be clearer. Workset or workspace seem good.

Comment

• Michael Bulgrien
                    Carpal Tunnel
                    • Oct 2007

Originally posted by jdmarch
                    ...save/restore named Desktops or Workspaces or Worksets or "Open Session Sets" or whatever they will eventually be called.
                    Save Session Set
                    Open Session Set

Now, why didn't I think of that? Thanks, JD.
                    BC v4.0.7 build 19761

Comment

Working...