• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave_L
    Veteran
    • Dec 2007

Bypass disk cache on file reads

BC2 has a toggle setting:

Session >> Comparison Control... >> Advanced >> Bypass disk cache on file reads

Is this setting available in BC3? I can't find it.
  • Tim
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Not yet implemented. Hopefully we'll get it in soon.
    Tim T Scooter Software

Comment

• Dave_L
      Veteran
      • Dec 2007

Thanks. In the meantime, will restarting BC cause it to not use the disk cache?

A typical scenario is that I'm copying files from one media to another, e.g. a local drive to a network drive, and I want to ensure that the files on both media are read before they're compared.

Comment

• Zoë
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

No, the caching is done completely by the OS, so restarting Cirrus won't help. We'll have this fixed in the next release, but in the the meantime if you absolutely after to do this you'll need to use BC2.
        Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

• NeOnD
          Expert
          • Oct 2008

Hi Craig,

Just out of curiosity - Is it implemented in BC3? I still don't see it.
          The only thing I see is -
          Session Settings > Handling > Bypass disk cache during binary operations.
          Which is not something which helps me .. I want to bypass the cache completely no matter what type of file/folder.

Comment

• Zoë
            Team Scooter
            • Oct 2007

Originally posted by NeOnD
            I want to bypass the cache completely no matter what type of file/folder.
            Why? The existing feature is designed to allow you to perform binary verifications after copies, and works exactly like it's intended to. What are you trying to do?
            Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

• NeOnD
              Expert
              • Oct 2008

Whenever I compare the files which are on FTP host I have to refresh them manually to see any update. Without refreshing they refer to disk cache.

Comment

• benArrayx
                Journeyman
                • Jul 2009

I too am experiencing problems with caching. I'm comparing a local folder with a remote FTP, often I open a file comparison and change a line on the remote copy, save and go back to the main comparison, but when I re-open the file it shows the previous line as not having changed - ie. the same as it was originally. Is this linked with Dave_L's request?

Cheers, Ben

Comment

• benArrayx
                  Journeyman
                  • Jul 2009

Anyone from team scooter got an idea?

Comment

• Aaron
                    Team Scooter
                    • Oct 2007

Hello,

We will need a simple debugging log showing these 5 actions:
                    load your folder compare
                    double click and open your file
                    save a change in the file
                    doubleclick (re)opening the file
                    refreshing the file with f5

If you could mark in the log where each action takes place, or try to keep the log short and simple that would be great.

To enable debugging: press Ctrl+Shift+T to enter the Tweaks dialog. Go to Folder Views, and enable "Include debug messages in log." The log in the Folder Compare (lower pane) will now populate with additional info.

Please email this log to [email protected]

You may want to turn down the number of FTP connections to try and keep the log simple as well (Tools menu -> FTP Profiles, select profile, Connection tab, 1 Simultaneous connection.
                    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...