Clear All
  • Dave_L
    Veteran
    • Dec 2007

Testing result

Here are some initial testing results.

2007-12-16
    Version 3.0.0 (build 442)
    Platform: MEPIS 6.0 (based on Ubuntu 6.06 - Dapper)

Overall impression: This is great! The basic functionality works as desired. Thanks

README.txt
    - I was confused by REQUIREMENTS #2. It states that libqtc.so is required. I don't have that file, but the tarball includes libqtc.so.1, which I guess is what's needed.
    - INSTALLATION #2: "install.sh" should be "./install.sh" or "sh install.sh", since the current directory is typically not in the execution path.

install.sh
    - Is installing the executables (Cirrus libqtc.so.1) in the current user's home directory only for test purposes, or will the final version do that too? I sometimes need to run BC as root, when I'm working with files that require that. For use under Wine, I had to install BC separately for my normal user account and also root. I can do the same thing with BC3; I was just curious if that's the plan.

Help >> Support
    - Some of the text is truncated. The text "Explore settings folder" is in the bottom left of the dialog box; is that supposed to be a button? (screenshot attached)
    - Export works, but the three .xml files in the .zip have the timestamps 2015-11-10 10:27pm. The two .xml files in ~/.beyondcompare have the correct timestamps.

Help >> Contents
    - Has no effect. The tarball didn't contain a manual, so I assume this is normal at this time.

Tools >> Options >> Folder Views >> Display
    - First radio button has label "Windows icon font (as used by Windows Explorer)". Is that intentional?
  • Chris
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Dave,

Thanks for the feedback.

README.txt:
    I'll get these updates made for our next release.

install.sh:
    This is only to make testing easier for users that don't have root access on their systems. We'll change this to install for all users before official release.

Help >> Support:
    I'll make a note for our developers to get this dialog fixed. Export and Close are the only buttons on that dialog. "Explore settings folder" is supposed to be a link, but it looks like it isn't working on Linux.

Help >> Contents:
    Help isn't implemented on Linux yet.

Tools >> Options >> Folder Views >> Display:
    I'll make a note about this for our developers.

Thanks again for all the helpful feedback.
    Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• Dave_L
      Veteran
      • Dec 2007

I just did a quick (5 minute) test of build 442 on MEPIS 6.5 (also based on Ubuntu 6.06 - Dapper) and encountered no problems with installation or basic functionality.

Comment

• Dave_L
        Veteran
        • Dec 2007

I've been testing build 442 on MEPIS 7.0 (based on Debian Etch, version 4.0r1).

I've found a couple of minor issues.

1. The Stop Loading icon in the toolbar is always blacked out.

2. The popup dialog that asks whether to reload a file that was changed externally is missing some text.

Comment

• Dave_L
          Veteran
          • Dec 2007

Amendment to #1 in the previous post: The blinking icon is present while the comparison is active. It's the "idle" icon that's blacked out.

Comment

• Chris
            Team Scooter
            • Oct 2007

Dave,

Thanks for reporting the bugs. I'll add these to our bug list to be fixed.
            Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Working...