X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DavidKay
    Visitor
    • Feb 2006

Oracle Database Objects

Is it possiple to compare a database object that resulted from a compile and lives in a databse to a piece of ssource code that it was created from?
  • Chris
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Re: Oracle Database Objects

We don't have built in support for comparing Oracle databases.

There is a user contributed Oracle Forms comparison rule at: http://www.scootersoftware.com/downl...c=kb_morerules
    I haven't tried it myself, but several users have reported problems with it, so it might require some tweaking.

Otherwise, the only option for comparing databases is to dump the database to a plain text file, such as CSV, then compare the exported files in Beyond Compare.
    Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• BHarney
      Visitor
      • May 2005

Re: Oracle Database Objects

You can select the source for an Oracle object (tables, procedure, views, triggers, etc) from the Oracle dictionary (try the view ALL_SOURCE) to a text file.
      You'd do the select with say Oracle's SQLplus.

You can then compare the text file to your original "source" file, which I assume would be a plain-ASCII .sql text file also.

TOAD, by Quest Software, has a schema compare feature that looks like it uses some Beyond Compare code, but it has quirks and it cannot do a file comparison report on contents.

Oracle's Enterprise Manager has a comparison option, which, in some respects is better than TOAD, but if you compare more than 1 object at time (they must exist in the database), expect to wait a long time... slow.

Comment

• Mingus999
        New User
        • Jul 2008

Does anyone know if the Oracle Forms comparison rules actually work and how. I have imported the rules and have been trying to compare .RDF files but all I get is blank comaprison windows or when I right click and select rule based comparison it says that files are an exact match even when comparing totally unrelated .RDF files.

We are desperately hoping there is a working solution for comparing Oracle files and could mean the purchase of 10's of BC2 licenses.

Trafalgar Management Services

Comment

• Aaron
          Team Scooter
          • Oct 2007

For some reason, the conversion process is returning a blank document (and then, two blank documents are equal).

Could you send a pair of example files to [email protected] along with a copy of your settings (BC Support.zip from Help menu -> Support; Export)?

Also, try testing with a very basic pair of files, that have little/no chance of syntax errors. Sometimes the conversion process can have issues if there is an error encountered during the conversion.
          Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Mingus999
            New User
            • Jul 2008

Thanks for your help, I have emailed you the files.

Comment

• Aaron
              Team Scooter
              • Oct 2007

We solved this issue by editing the .VBS to point to the install directory of Oracle (script was expecting a different path). Here is a first draft of a KB article on the subject:

Our Additional Rule for Oracle requires an installation of the Oracle Developer Suite and has a strict command line call to the Oracle Install directory. The rule defaults to the Oracle 9i installation directory, as stated in the Readme file.
              To use this rule with other versions of Oracle, open the .VBS file of the Oracle Rule you are interested in and edit the Command Line call to c:\oracle9i\...\*.exe to point to the relevant file on your system.

Optionally, you may want to change different command line parameters based on the version of Oracle you currently have installed, such as the DTYPE parameter from REXFILE to XMLFILE if necessary.
              Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...