Go Back   Scooter Forums > Beyond Compare 3 Discussion > Text Compare (2-way)
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 20-Apr-2012, 08:17 PM
Journeyman

Default Suggestion: Alternate view mode

I've been using various Diff and Merge tools for years and I notice the new crop have an elegant way to show changes.
eg. http://static.arstechnica.com/launchpad/qbzr-diff.png
The beauty of this method is that the source code of each file remains sequential and compact, which helps readability.
On the other hand, when merging a complex piece of code, I much prefer the practicality of line by line comparison, as BC3 has.

I'd like to suggest a future version where both modes were available and the user could switch between them. Some other programs have this feature but I have not seen it implemented well.

For my work flow, I'd like the sequential with linked lines/curves view for quick compare before check-in. When I do a complex merge, I like the line by line. In the quick compare mode, or for simple changes, I usually need to just accept or reject the whole block, so individual lines are not important.

I'm sure this would be a big change, but perhaps it would add value to your software as well as look sexy.
Old 23-Apr-2012, 09:49 AM
Team Scooter

Thanks for the suggestion. Adding additional view modes like this is on our Customer Wishlist. It is a large project and is not something we'll likely be able to implement soon, but I'll certainly add your notes and picture to our entry on the subject.