Test posting an image link

Slashes backwards:
    [IMG]http:\\mysite.verizon.net\bulgrien\images\pin1.gif[/IMG]

Slashes forwards:
    Chris K Scooter Software
  • Marjolein Katsma
    Expert
    • Oct 2007

Chris, backslashes are DOS/Windows file system only. URLs on the Internet use forward slashes only. A reference in HTML with backslashes might refer to a file system path on your own computer but will never work for anyone else on the internet - unless they happen to have a file with the exact same file path on their own computer.

A BBcode img "tag" assumes an Internet path, so (at least in most implementations of BBCode, if not all) any local file system path won't be interpreted as an internet URL: it needs to refer to something the browser can retrieve, after all.

Comment

• Michael Bulgrien
      Carpal Tunnel
      • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Marjolein Katsma
      Chris, backslashes are DOS/Windows file system only. URLs on the Internet use forward slashes only.
      Marjolein,

Chris knows that. I accidentally used backslashes in an IE URL to bring up a picture. When the picture displayed, I pasted the same URL in [img] tags in another thread and it did not work. Chris posted in the test forum to show me what I did wrong.
      BC v4.0.7 build 19761
      ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Comment

• Marjolein Katsma
        Expert
        • Oct 2007

*chuckle* - I hadn't noticed that thread yet when I read this one, so I did not know what Chris was after with this and just commented on what was happening.

Maybe I can seduce you not to use IE to test links, and especially not image links? It can't be trusted to adhere to Internet standards.

Comment

Working...