X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sgmoore
    Journeyman
    • Jun 2006

BComp or BCompare

Visual Studio 2008 has a option to compare a file with the last checked in version. It appears to does this by checking out the lastest version to the temporary folder and then calling a comparsion tool to compare this version with your current version. The comparsion tool can be the built in VSS viewer/editor or it can be an external program. In my case I am using Beyond Compare 3. But the question is should I be using BComp or BCompare.

From http://www.scootersoftware.com/vbull...ighlight=bcomp and also the help file. I thought BComp should be the one to use.

This works most of the time but occasionally it can not find the temporary file. When it does go wrong it can usually be repeated. However if I try the same file later on it will probably work ok.
    I tried monitoring this using SysInternal's Process Monitor and it appears that the file is created and deleted before Beyond Compare tries to read it, whereas when it works the file is only deleted after Beyond compare has finished.

Actually when it goes wrong the process appears to be.
    Temp File Created
    Bcomp.exe Started
    Bcompare Started
    Bcomp.exe Exited
    File Deleted
    BCompare continues to load settings etc
    BCompare.exe attempts to read temp file (which is no longer there).

So, should I be using BCompare.exe and if so then what is Bcomp.exe for (and Bcomp.com for that matter)

Thanks
    Stephen

Never noticed this issue with BC2.
  • Zoë
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hi Stephen,

BComp.exe is the correct one to use, and was created specifically for this purpose. If there's an existing copy of BC running then BComp communicates with it (so it can open as a tab in the existing instance) and waits for the comparison to complete before exiting.

Any chance you're comparing archive files? It only works with files it will compare in the file viewer, so that could do it.

BC2 wouldn't have had the same issue because it didn't try to open the comparison in the existing copy.
    Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

• sgmoore
      Journeyman
      • Jun 2006

Originally posted by Craig

Any chance you're comparing archive files? It only works with files it will compare in the file viewer, so that could do it.
      Not sure what you mean by archive files. If you mean files like .zip then no, they are C# (.cs) files.

Comment

• Michael Bulgrien
        Carpal Tunnel
        • Oct 2007

I use BC3 with VS 2008 against TFS 2005 and TFS 2008 and have not experienced the issue you describe. What version control software are you using? What parms did you use in visual studio?
        BC v4.0.7 build 19761
        ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Comment

• sgmoore
          Journeyman
          • Jun 2006

Visual SourceSafe 2005 aka 8.0.50727.42

"C:\Program Files\Beyond Compare 3\bcomp.exe" %1 %2

Might try the /Solo option to see if it makes any difference.

Comment

• Michael Bulgrien
            Carpal Tunnel
            • Oct 2007

I've used BC3 with Visual Studio 2005 and VSS 2005 with hotfix KB932874 (8.0.50727.811), but have not tried accessing VSS since upgrading to VS 2008. You may want to get the hotfix. We had problems with data corruption in unicode files prior to installing the hotfix.
            BC v4.0.7 build 19761
            ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Comment

Working...