What's New in Version 3.3
Version 3.3 adds a number of new features, along with increased polish and bug fixes. The most significant changes are:
- Added full context menu extensions on Linux for Konqueror (KDE), Nautilus (Gnome), and Thunar (Xfce), with configurable visibility and submenus.
- Added support for passing '-' on the command line to load a file from stdin, and added support for FIFOs on Linux.
- Copying to/from FTP/SFTP servers now copies the Unix mode (rwx).
- Character encoding errors during saving now prompt to use a different code page instead of refusing to save.
- Removed prompt to edit read-only files in file views.
- Fixed FTP timezone autodetection.
What's New in Version 3.2
- Added a Text Edit view, accessible from the Open With and Tools menus. Includes a Find in Files command.
- Added a Registry Compare view. It allows comparison of your live registry, the registry on a remote computer, and .reg export files. See our compare registry settings article for a screen shot and video demo of the new view.
- File Compare Report can now mix reports from different comparison types. The available layouts and options will depend on the session types associated with the selected files.
- Added Text Content filter to Folder Compare, so comparisons can be restricted to only those files containing a specific search term.
- Added support for bzip2 and bzipped tar archives and Debian .deb packages.
- Added ability to load Total Commander packer (wcx) plug-ins, allowing third-parties to provide read-only support for additional archive file types. To use, download packer zips from totalcmd.net or ghisler.com, extract the .wcx file into your BC3 install directory, and add appropriate extensions in the Folder Views section of the Options dialog.
- Added layout, rotate, and flip commands to Picture Compare, along with various other enhancements.
- System and hidden operating system files are now hidden by default, matching Explorer's default view. This primarily affects Windows Vista and Windows 7's compatibility junction points.
- SFTP connections can now use SSH2 public key authentication without explicit configuration if OpenSSH's ssh-agent or PuTTY's pageant is running.
- Added Follow Symbolic Links folder compare option which controls whether symbolic links are shown as files or the link target. Supported on both disks and FTP. Copying symlinks to FTP servers is known to work with OpenSSH, ProFTPD, ncftpd, hpss, and ioftpd.
- Added Ignore Same Changes command to Text Merge, which hides identical changes in the left and right input files. Also added Detached Output Pane option for use on multi-monitor systems.